_gautby-nates-drawing2

 

gautby-hall

Old Hall Stables

The position of Old Hall Stables, shown in blue on the above map.  Old Hall Stables is a Grade II listed property, which is steeped in history and along with the Grade II listed ice house, which stands in the grounds is all that remains of the magnificent Gautby Hall which was built for the Lincolnshire MP Robert Vyner in 1756.  Robert Vyner was the great nephew and benefactor of the estate of Sir Robert Vyner, First Baronet and Lord Mayor of London.

If you look at Nattes drawing above, the southern gable for Old Hall stables can be seen as the fourth building from the left hand side.

In the painting below Old Hall Stables would appear to be the structure immediately to the left of Gautby Hall.  None of the other buildings remain!

blick_park_gautby_hall_hi

 

In 1982 the derelict stables and coach house were restored and converted into a substantial country home.

 

cropped-Old-Hall-Stables-Gautby-89.jpg

The property is located at the end of a rural lane and has a small lake which is set within 5 acres of private parkland. The house has no near neighbours and is surrounded on all sides by woodlands and open fields.

Gardens and Grounds

The grounds are a particular feature of the property and are part of the original Gautby Great Park.  They are a magnet for a wide variety of wildlife.  The grounds comprise of 5 acres of lawns, woodland copses and meadow, with a large ornamental fishpond and a small lake.  Adjacent to the lake is a Grade II listed ice house.  The woodland copse at the centre of the grounds, known as The Rookery, marks the site of Gautby Hall which was built for the Lincolnshire MP Robert Vyner in 1756.  Gautby Hall was demolished in 1870 after it fell into disrepair.

Insights into the history of the Vyner family

(c) Wycombe Museum; Supplied by The Public Catalogue Foundation

Sir Robert Vyner - First Baronet

Sir Robert Vyner, 1st Baronet and Lord Mayor of London (1631 –1688), was born in Warwick, but moved to London as young man, where he was apprenticed to his uncle, Sir Thomas Vyner (1558–1665), a goldsmith/banker.

It was Sir Thomas and Sir Robert Vyner who laid the foundations for the Vyner financial dynasty.

Sir Robert became a wealthy goldsmith/banker in his own right and it was Sir Robert who produced the jewel-studded replica of the Crown of St. Edward and the King's Orb, used for Charles II's coronation in 1661. The king attended Sir Robert's mayoral banquet, and the Lord Mayor erected an equestrian statue in his honour on the site now occupied by The Mansion House.

Sir Robert bought Swakeley's House in Ickenham, west of London. Samuel Pepys visited Sir Robert  twice to borrow money on behalf of the king.

Having been appointed the king's goldsmith in 1661, Sir Robert was one of the bankers who lent large sums of money for the expenses of the state and the extravagances of the court.

Over £400,000 was owed to Sir Robert when the national exchequer suspended payment.  The ‘worthless’ IOU is displayed in Newby Hall, Yorkshire.

king-charles-statue

The Statue of King Charles II

The story of a well travelled horse and rider!

The statue, shown above was made in Italy and originally represented John Sobieski, King of Poland, trampling a Turk.  It commemorated his victory in Vienna, unfortunately it was never paid for!

The statue was bought in 1672 by Sir Robert Vyner (the goldsmith responsible for Charles II's Coronation regalia) who it had it installed at the Stocks Market in London at the Restoration of The Monarchy.  Sir Robert had the head refashioned to represent Charles II and the lower figure represented Oliver Cromwell.

In 1739 the London site was taken for the construction of the Mayor of London's residence, The Mansion House and the statue was removed to an inn yard

It was then moved to the Vyner estate in Gautby, Lincolnshire where it stood on the island in the fishing lake for Gautby Hall.

Lady Mary Robinson of Newby married Henry Vyner and was given Newby Hall in 1859, soon after their marrige.

The statue was moved to The Park at Newby Hall in 1883 and has remained there since.

frederick-grantham-vyner-uniform-reduced

Frederick Vyner - Murdered by brigands

In 1870, Frederick Vyner, the 23 year old son of Henry Vyner and Lady Mary, was kidnapped in Greece along with seven other travellers. The ransom was raised by his mother and brother-in-law, Lord Ripon, but Frederick was tragically killed by his kidnappers during a botched rescue attempt by Greek troops.

Next Steps...